The Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - King of Prussia is Going Green
The Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - King of Prussia has installed of one of the most sophisticated Energy Management Systems on the market. The system
controls the HVAC units for all of the guest rooms, as well as portions of the common areas. Our goal is to maximize guest comfort,
with the feeling of being "at home", while still being able to reduce energy consumption.
The new system achieves both standards by controlling consumption of all unoccupied rooms. When a room is not rented, the room
temperature is setback significantly; when a room is rented, but guests are not in the room, a minor setback occurs. State of the
art motion and door sensors in conjunction with digital thermostats, control the HVAC setbacks only when the rooms are vacant.
Jose Colon, Chief Engineer, states "We are proud to be doing our part by elevating the energy efficiencies of our property.
We have plans to further enhance our efficiencies through deploying additional technologies in the near future. Continuous
improvement focused on maximizing guest comfort is our ultimate goal."
Wearetdm.com is a "one-stop shop" for individuals to get information on alternatives to driving alone to work, as well as relevant transportation news. If you are tired of sitting in traffic or looking for the closest trail connection, this site will help you find the information, or tools, you need to help save you time and money.
To encourage, educate and involve staff to implement environmental initiatives that can eventually become standard practice.
Successful "green" programs begin with an engaged workforce.
Sales and Catering Department
- Utilize post-consumer waste recycled paper
- Use double-sided copying and printing whenever possible
- Promote Whiteboards instead of Flipcharts
- Email contracts instead of mailing; whenever possible
- Managers that have windows in there office, save energy by turning off the lights and opening the blinds
- Turn off office equipment not in use over night
- Identify and implement opportunities to minimize/reduce the usage of printed material whenever possible.
- Place statement on all emails: Please consider the environment before printing this email
- Use electronic advertising and promotion whenever possible
- Make materials self-mailers whenever possible and do not tab self-mailers unless necessary
- Use mailing labels with water-based adhesives
- Signs: Use reusable signs wherever possible
- Light bulb replacement with compact fluorescent bulbs
- Install low-flow showerheads
- Clean regularly dirty air-conditioning and refrigeration coils to save operating costs
- Low Flow faucets and toilets
Food & Beverage Department
- Use china and glass service at all times, if china/glass service cannot be used order biodegradable disposable service ware in conjunction with a compost program must be used
- Eliminate the use of plastic stir sticks with beverage service. Reusable spoons or stirrers should be used
- "Box lunches" try to serve buffet style when possible, or using the minimum amount of packaging. If packaging is used it should be biodegradable
- Instead of serving bottled water, utilize water stations and hotel glasses or water coolers
- Eliminating the unnecessary use of glasses (i.e. if beer is being served in bottles, only give glass upon request)
- Try to serve all condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, jelly, butter, sugar, creamers, etc.) in serving containers and not in individual packets Ask that all garnishes be edible
- Serve food in bulk whenever possible instead of individual packaging
- Discontinue use of Styrofoam, polystyrene foam and petroleum based plastic take out containers. Purchase plastic containers made out of corn resin, potato starch or sugar cane by products
- Collection Containers: placed, as appropriate, throughout the hotels pre-functions space and meeting space
- Ensure trash cans are adjacent to recycling containers
- Signage: Containers should be well identified to educate attendees on what can be recycled and where
- Packing Materials: Ask clients to save and reuse the sent boxes and materials so they can repack items
- Donate leftover flowers or reuse
- Place notepads out upon request only
- Linen/Towel Program: Change towels and bed linens only as requested
- Provide cards for guests to indicate whether they want their towels and bed linens changed
- Energy: Reduce energy consumption in rooms when guests are out by turning off lights and shutting blinds